PILOTAGE PRE-PLANNING GUIDE
3.1.3. Phase 3: Embarkation
Initial contact between you and the pilot boat, will be on VHF CH 87*.
The pilot boat will call you, and confirm boarding arrangements.
• Once the pilot boat is in sight, please maintain speed and course as instructed
by the pilot boat. Normal boarding speed is 8-9 knots.
• Prior to boarding, the draft of the ship will always be checked by the Pilot.
Draft is confirmed by the Pilot for safety reasons only, and to minimize the
risk of accidents underway. The pilot boat will maneuver close to your ship
from astern before heading towards the pilot ladder.
• If pilot ladder is rigged correctly, no further communication is needed.
Please maintain watch on VHF CH 87*, and stand ready to correct your
course and speed if necessary.
• The Pilot will board your vessel and proceed directly to the bridge for
meeting with the bridge team.
• Once the Pilot(s) is transferred, the pilot boat will turn away and you are
free to proceed. Please make sure that the pilot boat is clear of the vessel
3.2. Boarding arrangement drawing
Boarding arrangements for Pilot must always be in accordance with SOLAS Regulation
V/23 & IMO Resolution A.1045(27). Please do not prepare any manropes.
Find ”Required boarding arrangements for Pilot” illustration on the following page.
*Alternatively another agreed working channel